Analysis | Software Selection
New software, different problems
Choosing any new application is fraught with difficulty.
The last thing you need is to end up with
a different set of problems.
Beware solution vendors
The arguments to buy software can quickly stack up:
- Save time
- Reduce duplication of effort
- Improve flexibility
- Increased management information
- Data produced more quickly and more accuracy
But without the correct due diligence, the returns on investment may materialise a lot later than anticipated. It’s only afterwards that some things may have been missed in the procurement process become apparent. We specialise in software selection services for small medium sized businesses
What gets missed?
What the vendor is selling and the problem you are solving won’t exactly match. There can be differences in understanding about:
- Functionality – maybe it does 80% of what you need, but you thought you had 100% covered.
- Data – different data structures across systems mean that updates in one system can’t be replicated across other systems.
- Process – inadvertent bottlenecks created which require attention.
- Costs – maybe the OpEx costs for a cloud solution weren’t clear at the outset.
There are lots of areas where a product’s ROI can be scuppered without some clear objective way to evaluate it before going the long road to implementation.
A formal procurement procedure
By having a formal process in place you have a more objective chance to evaluate the different options available. Our selection process has the following steps:
- Define the scope of the problem
- Requirements elicitation
- Produce an RFP (with weightings)
- Manage vendor proposals
- Present back results
Why Choose Us?
Automating business processes is a big step, it means change across your business. Some vendors will implement a technical solution and leave you to deal with the fall out from the changes to ways of working. Others will sense an opportunity to upsell a lot of services but perhaps with more focus on selling than on your best interests.
We want your business change efforts to be very successful, we understand the big picture of business change and can support you every step of the way.
We work for you, we have no affiliations with any vendor. We will represent you and your interests when dealing with vendors / suppliers.
We’re flexible to your resourcing needs. We can see the big picture and support you to get what you need instead of tying you into long term maintenance contracts.